- 0.1 What happens when you have an excess WBC count in your body?
- 0.2 How to get back that normal WBC count?
- 0.3 What happens when you have a lowered WBC count in your body?
- 0.4 Symptoms with lowered WBC count:
- 0.5 Causes of lowered WBC count:
- 0.6 How to get back to the normal WBC count from low?
- 0.7 WBC normal range in male
- 0.8 WBC normal range in a child
- 0.9 For infants:
- 0.10 For toddlers, teens, and adolescents:
- 0.11 WBC normal range in blood
- 0.12 WBC normal range in pregnancy
- 0.13 How to lower white blood cell count
- 0.14 How to increase WBC count
- 0.15 Home remedies to reduce WBC count
- 1 TYPES OF WHITE BLOOD TEST:
White Blood cells are of course, essential for our body as they help in fighting back various kinds of diseases and foreign attacks in our body. WBCs are usually of various types and sizes, and each of them has got their own functions to perform.
While some of them destroy the foreign particles, others restrict the foreign attacks. Some even help to fight against allergies. Though they have a lot of benefits to our body, we do not need them in excess anyway! As it is said, “It’s good to have things in a sustainable amount, lack or excess of anything, are equally bad.”
A blood cell to determine the count of blood cells in your body is called a complete blood count (CBC). It helps to evaluate a wide range of health disorders and infection that you might be suffering from!
It’s nothing much serious. Just that, a sample of blood will be extracted from your body by inserting a needle to your vein, usually at the end of your elbow to draw the blood. This blood is then sent to the laboratory for analysis. You can carry out your day to day activities after that without any stress.
What happens when you have an excess WBC count in your body?
Increased number of WBC than the normal range is not a disease. But, it can show up with several disorders, trauma, inflammation, allergy, infection, stress and other complications. Therefore, an optimal number is always preferred. In case you analyze a higher WBC count, you must always seek to a doctor at the earliest without any delay.
In general, the normal range varies from 4500 to 10500 in a human. A count greater than 10500 in a lab test facility will be considered higher. Such a condition is called leukocytosis.
Symptoms with elevated WBC count:
- body ache
- weight loss
Causes of elevated WBC count:
- Smoking or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): It is basically caused due to cigarette smoking as there gets a blockage in your lungs and airway. It leads to issues like emphysema or chronic bronchitis. In order to fight back, the number of WBCs in the body gets higher.
- Leukemia: It is a kind of cancer that increases the WBC count in your body.
- Stress: Physical and emotional stress enhanced the WBCs in your body. Once your body gets back to normal, you will get rid of that extra bid of WBCs.
- Infection: As the bacteria and other microorganisms in your body keep multiplying, your bone marrow keeps producing more number of White Blood Cells. This situation may also lead to inflammation.
How to get back that normal WBC count?
Avoid foods rich in fat and sugar. Basically, you need to avoid junk stuff in order to keep your WBC count in check. Instead, include foods such as antioxidants containing vitamins C and E, fiber, fish oils, calcium and mono-unsaturated fats in your diet.
What happens when you have a lowered WBC count in your body?
White Blood cells, also known as leukocytes are an important part of the immune system. When the WBC count in your body is low, you are more likely to fall sick or injured. This is because your body is not able to fight off the complications. Such a condition in which you have a lower WBC count in your body is known as leukopenia.
Symptoms with lowered WBC count:
A person with lowered WBC count has hot a greater frequency of sickness. He or she is more likely to suffer from various kinds of infections.
- Having fever with a temperature of 100.4° F (38° C) or higher than that
- Nausea and vomiting
- Mouth sores
- Flushed face
- A cough
- A headache
- Night Sweats
- Pain or burning sensation when urinating
- Flu-like symptoms
Causes of lowered WBC count:
- Immunodeficiency: As we all know that the White Blood cells are the workhouses of the immune system. Conditions causing immunodeficiency are systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), rickettsia, tuberculosis, Sjogren’s syndrome, dengue fever virus infection, psittacosis, Lyme disease, and Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- HIV: This causes a low WBC count in the body. A patient must be diagnosed and treated as early as possible in that case.
- Sarcoidosis: It is a kind of inflammatory disease with the formation of lumps called granulomas in the skin, lungs, or lymph nodes.
- Radiation therapy and chemotherapy: These treatments used to treat cancer cells destroy the WBC count in the body.
- Certain antibiotics: Taking in several kinds of penicillins and cephalosporins can lower the WBC count in the body.
How to get back to the normal WBC count from low?
There are a lot of ways to boost up one’s WBC count in the body. Drugs such as Filgrastim (Neupogen), Pegfilgrastim (Neulasta) and Lenograstim (Granocyte) are often prescribed to a patient undergoing radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
WBC normal range in male
The normal range of WBC count in male is 3.5-10.5 billion cells/L (3,500 to 10,500 cells/mcL).
An optimal count is good for a body; however, a higher count than that of the normal range can cause inflammation or infection. It may also cause the body to show several reactions to medication. If you find it more, you must consult a physician as early as possible and get the treatment done. On the other hand, if it is lower, you may be prone to infection too. So both the cases are equally problematic to an individual. Thus, a check to the WBC count is important!
WBC normal range in a child
As per the CBC count, it has been seen that the WBC count in a child is usually more than that of an adult human. Also, the WBC count in a child varies according to its age. So only a doctor or a professional would be able to say if that is normal for your kid’s age. Accordingly, you can assure of the fact or get the treatment done if required.
The WBC count of a newly born is usually more than that of a grown-up kid. The WBC count usually tends to decline as the child keeps growing. Here, I am putting the list right from the birth of a child to as it gradually gets older.
- Birth: 9.0 to 30.0 x 109/L
- 1 to 7 days: 9.4 to 34.0 x 109/L
- 8 to 14 days: 5.0 to 21.0 x 109/L
- 15 days to 1 month: 5.0 to 20.0 x 109/L
- 2 to 5 months: 5.0 to 15.0 x 109/L
- 6 months to 2 years old: 6.0 to 11.0 x 109/L
For toddlers, teens, and adolescents:
As your child continues to grow, the WBC count in its body depends on factors like his or her age and sex. Males and females have got a different WBC count, and the number varies between them a bit.
- 2 years old: 5.0 to 12.0 x 109/L
- 3 to 5 years old: 4.0 to 12.0 x 109/L
- 6 to 11 years old, males: 3.4 to 9.5 x 109/L
- 6 to 11 years old, females: 3.4 to 10.8 x 109/L
- 12 to 15 years old, males: 3.6 to 9.1 x 109/L
- 12 to 15-year-old, females: 4.1 to 8.9 x 109/L
- 16 years and older, males and females: 3.5 to 10.5 x 109/L
WBC normal range in blood
As I already said that the normal range of WBC count in blood exists from 4,500 to 11,000 WBC per microlitre (4.5 to 11.0 × 109/L). It depends on age and sex of the individual. Also, there can be a slight change in the results provided by different laboratories. However, there is not much change. This alteration is mainly due to the measurements are taken or the apparatus used and the specimen considered during the test.
WBC normal range in pregnancy
During the time of pregnancy, a woman’s body undergoes a lot of changes. There is both physical and psychological stress going within a person. In that case, a woman may witness a higher than normal WBC count in the blood which may typically range from 6,000/cumm. However, there is nothing to worry about in this matter for the body undergoes physical stress and as I said it beforehand that stress increases the WBC count and in the blood. Leucocytosis is common during pregnancy. However, the neutrophil count in the body is significantly noticed during this phase, but the count of eosinophil and basophil do not usually get higher that much.
At the time of delivery, there is a brisk change in the WBC count. Reports say that this is due to the amount of stress a woman goes through during delivery. At that time, she may get a WBC count varying from 9,000 to 25,000/cumm, but there is nothing to worry in that context. Many women may not show such significant changes in the count. That too is pretty much normal.
How to lower white blood cell count
If your blood cell count is higher than usual as per your age and sex, you may require to lower the range in order to get back to normal, here is what you must do:
If you have an increased WBC count, considered to be more than 11000 per microlitre, or according to the above-mentioned count you should have based on your age and sex, you shall be prone to inflammation. Nothing in excess is good either. In order to lower your white blood cell count in that matter, here are the steps to follow:
- Work on minimizing stress level: Try to keep yourself calm. Opt for meditation and other such activities that can boost up your inner peace and stability.
- Treat your infection or microbial diseases: You are more likely to have a higher WBC count if you get continuous attacks from viruses and bacteria. Try treating that first, and your WBC count shall get back to normal quite soon.
- Quit smoking: Smoking causes a blockage in the air pipe and in the lungs. Try to quit such an ill habit. If things look tough, you may go for a smoking cessation plan.
How to increase WBC count
In case your blood has got less than 4000 or according to some specialists, less than 4500 WBCs per microlitre, it is said that your body is not well equipped to fight back diseases. Such case requires immediate medication or an instant consultation with a doctor. People with such an issue will not be able to cope up with diseases in an efficient manner. Here is how you can increase your WBC count and set it back to normal:
- Feed yourself with immune system boosters: Add food items that can boost up your immune system. Such items include ginger, spinach, broccoli, citrus fruits and more.
- Zinc: Though zinc is required by our body in a slight proportion, it is very effective in generating the killer cells. It also helps the WBC to work more effectively and aggressively by producing more antibodies.
- Vitamin C: Food items rich in vitamin C would help your body produce more of White blood cells.
- Green tea: It detoxifies your body, as well as its antioxidant properties; help your body to produce WBCs.
Home remedies to reduce WBC count
If there is a severe complication in your body that you have been encountering due to the WBC count, the doctor would be the best one to take a consultation from. However, you can also take care of yourself with the use of some home remedies. Here are they:
- Focus on your eating habits: This is one of the most important things that you need to do so as to normalize the WBC count in your body. Increase the amount of servings of fruits and veggies in your diet.
- Exercise: Exercises and work out treats almost all kinds of health complications and make you overall fit. It treats your inflammation too as well as keeps you energized for the rest of the day. It will also boost up your willpower and body potential.
- Take yogurt: Researches say that probiotics are usually helpful in boosting your immune system as well as helps in increasing the WBC count in the body.
- Meditate: Stress causes an increased WBC count, therefore, meditate on a regular basis to keep yourself relaxed and refreshed. This will surely be helpful to you.
- Maintain hygiene: Infections caused due to microbes will affect you more likely if you are at a dirty place and the body will produce more of WBCs, in that case, to fight them off.
We are in the hustle and want to get a luxurious life as soon as possible but sometimes what we are neglecting is the health problems that matters a lot to us.
But we ignored, to get the luxurious life it is vital to pay attention and has to do a properly examine from your health experts twice in the year.
Remember one thing if you want to achieve you’re dreaming then the most important aspect is to maintain your health because we all know about dis quote “Health is wealth” so don’t ever comprise with your health.
Here we are going to highlight the one test that is also very necessary to do twice in the year.
This test is related to white cells called white blood test this test is helpful to count the number of white cells in you is the body.
WBC is the abbreviation that is used for a white blood test.
Here we are going to give you the detail of this trial and how it performs what you have to do with test and why this test is important to do.
TYPES OF WHITE BLOOD TEST:
There are five types of white blood test;
A white blood test is helpful to fight against infections in you’re the body.
Without the presence of these cells, your body will be unable to compete with germs.
Now the question is how and why this test is performed?
How is this test performed?
For this test you just have to give a blood sample, when a needle is injected for blood sample some people feel pain, some feel a sting or a prick.
It might be possible some of you feel throbbing that goes away soon.
After knowing dis, it’s time to know the reason why we need to know about our white blood cells amount or why this test is performed?
Why is this test performed?
You need to know about many white blood cells because if your body has produced a lot of white cells.
Then it may cause a variety of reasons like people face allergy or infection having a larger number of white cells.
But sometimes people suffer the low, or high level of white blood cells this is the usual thing.
One more thing an increasing amount of WBC might be the reason for blood cancer such as lymphoma and leukemia.
Now something about the range of white blood cells;
You May Also Read – MPV Blood Test
WBC normal range
The values of a normal range of white blood cells may vary from lab to labs.
The reason behind this might be the standard operating procedures (SOP) that can vary from lab to lab. Usually, the WBC normal range in the blood is 4500- 11000 per microliter.
What does high or low white blood cells mean?
Now the question what will happen or what happens if you are not lying in this WBC normal range. We will encounter with two phases one is the low-level WBC, and another phase is the high-level WBC. Let’s start with the phase 1;
Individual facing low-level WBC in blood is called leukemia; leukemia counts the white blood cells below than 4500.
The neutrophil is the one type of white blood cell that is enlisted by its presence is important in blood to fight infections but what if someone faces its deficiency.
If an adult has fewer than 1700 necrophiliacs in a microliter of blood will also lying on this category of low-level WBC.
On the other way if this range will down further suppose fewer than 500 necrophiliacs in a microliter of blood.
Then the risk of getting infected will also be higher because of the low-level of white blood cell in the body.
The reason behind these fewer neutrophils will be;
1: Liver disease
2: Treatment of cancer radiation
3: Any surgery related to bone marrow failure
4: Different types of viral illness
5: Certain infections causes from bacteria
These are the few reasons that cause fewer neutrophils that further reduce the white blood cell in your body and restrict your white cells to lying in the WBC normal range
Now come to the second phase that is related to the high-level WBC;
Many reasons show why your white blood cells are high in level; the high-level WBC is called leukocytes.
Leukocytes occur due to these grounds including taking too much depression or stress, smoking, any bacterial infections, use of specific drugs or medicine, allergies or tissue damage.
So these are some reasons that better explain the reasons for the low and high level of white blood cell in your body.
Here we are also going to tell you the name of some drugs that include the power to low and high the white blood cells
Drugs and low level of WBC: Following are the drugs that are going to enlist that help you to know the name of the drugs that cause lower level WBC;
Drugs and High level of WBC:
Following are the drugs that are going to enlist that help you to know the name of the drugs that causes high-level WBC;
3: Beta-Adrenergic Agonists
5: Granulocyte Colony-stimulating factor
So these are some important things that are necessary to know every individual for their health.
One last thing that is worthy to mention here is the risk that is attached while taking the blood sample.
As we all know veins and arteries can be very individual to individual so it might be risky for some people to give their blood sample.
It is possible they feel lightheaded, infection, bleeding or hematoma. Hope so you will get enough information that will help you to sort out your health problem and give an alarm to do your tests when you feel something fishy that restricts your life via WBC normal range.